Sunday, October 9, 2011

SCREAM 4


My PIRANHA dvd didn't arrive on time so I will review that later. But I did pick up SCREAM 4 on blu ray.

Look, I love the SCREAM films. I think they are smart, well written and, at times, scary. SCREAM 4 is no different. Picking up years after the third film, Sydney has written a book about deciding to stop being a victim. It's a best seller that's taken her on a tour around the country. Her tour ends in Woodsboro where Dewey and Gail are married and Dewey's running the Sheriff's department.

In the 10 years since the first murders, the STAB movie franchise has exploded with 7 chapters. The start of the movie runs us through three or four of those in a most awesome opening sequence. Sydney arrives in Woodsboro and you guessed, Mr. Ghostface is there. The film also introduces and then butchers, a young, new cast. I delighted at the deconstruction of the modern horror genres. I'll keep the breakdown short to avoid spoilers.

So, I think the film is a worthy sequel to one of the great franchises in movie history. It ups the body count, really drives the suspense and remains very meta in its deconstruction of the horror genre.  Rumor is that there will be a 5 & 6. Count me in. And remember the first rule of remakes. “Don't fuck with the original.”

No comments:

Post a Comment