Saturday, September 17, 2011

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY. A NERD WAS BORN...

So, just to get things started.  Yes.  Han shot first.

Now, that that's out of the way, I got a very cool email today.  Amazon is shipping my STAR WARS SAGA on Blu Ray.  And I can't put into words just how giddy I am about that.

I'm a fan.  I think Han is the coolest movie character EVER.  I agree that nothing beats a "good blaster by your side."  I remember seeing the first one as a kid.  I remember the trailer for EMPIRE and being both afraid and fascinated by Vader.

I saw all the rereleases.  And some of the changes bugged me.  Some didn't.  I loved the expanded landscapes, the little touches here and there.  I didn't hate the Jabba addition to A NEW HOPE, mostly because I knew it was supposed to be there in the first place.  (Jabba was originally shot as a fat dude).

I waited in line for the prequels.  And yes, they stunk when compared to the original trilogy, though all the movies had some nice moments.  But who didn't get excited when the crawler started?  Again, I would have done them differently.  And I wasn't too keen on the how the changes made related to established canon.  But I saw each one with the wide eyed hope and wonder of a kid.

And that bring us to the Blu Ray release.  I own them all on DVD.  I even own the original theatrical cuts of the original trilogy.  But the Blu Rays?  I gotta have this on Blu Ray, who cares if its a hundred bucks.  Or how ever many Imperial credits.  Thanks to AMAZON gift cards, I payed $9 last January to preorder the discs 9 months before their release.

In that time there has been speculation about more changes to the films.  Changes that bug me.  I get the desire to tweak your films.  When we see Star Wars, we see our childhood.  Lucas probably only sees his "flaws."  But the changes are bugging me.  To the point that I considered canceling the order.  But I didn't.

And then today I get the email.  My order has shipped.  Star Wars is on its way.  And I can't wait.  I'm excited again to see the most exciting movie saga ever.  Despite the changes the "bastardization" of his films, the heart of those movies is still strong.  It's still there in all its wonder, hope and tragedy.  So, I say thank you to George Lucas.  You had me at "A long time ago..."

Remember the force will be with you....






No comments:

Post a Comment